Support for PIN based payment card transactions at mPOS lowers risk and transaction fees for mobile merchants moving away from cash
Cambridge, UK – 12 November 2013 – Thales, leader in information systems and communications security, and MagTek, a leading provider of secure transaction technology to the payment card industry, announce an integrated open source mobile payment solution that turns a merchant smart phone or tablet into a highly secure mobile payment system, allowing acceptance of credit or debit card payments anywhere.
The combined solution from MagTek and Thales delivers an easy to deploy, low cost, portable card acceptance solution with strong end-to-end security. Thales payShield 9000 hardware security modules (HSMs) deployed at the payment gateway integrate with MagTek’s DynaPro card acceptance device to establish high assurance point-to-point-encryption (P2PE). Payment Service Providers (PSPs) can now take advantage of the proven interoperability to develop their own mobile point of sale (mPOS) applications and provide merchants with a flexible, low cost mobile acceptance solution.
- MagTek DynaPro Mini is a highly secure multi-functional handheld device supporting both magnetic stripe and EMV Chip and PIN card transactions, and is certified to the latest PCI PTS 3.1 specification
- The mPOS solution works in a consistent way with other MagTek merchant solutions enabling all transactions to be routed via a single payment gateway
- Thales payShield 9000 HSM is plug and play compatible with DynaPro data formats and reduces time to market for PSPs
- The open source mPOS solution allows PSPs to develop their own mobile acceptance applications
- The integrated mPOS solution meets PCI P2PE encryption requirements, bringing many operational, security and cost of ownership benefits both to merchants and PSPs
- Merchants are able to sign multi-country acquirer contracts and deploy the terminals into any country safe in the knowledge that P2PE prevents scope increases for PCI DSS certification
Steve Poulston, Managing Director, Europe at MagTek says: “The industry is migrating towards P2PE and PSPs are busy defining their roadmaps. Thales is a long-term partner and, like us, has extensive expertise in the payment industry making them an ideal partner to provide the high assurance payment processing at the payment gateway. MagTek’s next generation, Open Source P2PE hardware devices along with Thales payShield 9000, provide independent PSPs with a comprehensive proven P2PE solution on which to base their mPOS offering.”
Ian Hermon, mobile payments specialist at Thales e-Security says: “Not many people in the payments industry anticipated the tremendous growth globally that mobile card acceptance has seen over the past year. A key enabler behind this innovation is the use of encryption. Although encryption has been used to protect PINs for many years it is now being deployed to ensure that payment data is protected right from the moment of capture. This opens up a new level of flexibility for both merchants and PSPs because data can now be routed through untrusted devices and across untrusted networks such as mobile phones. As a payment technology leader, Thales is working with innovators such as MagTek to deliver the same high levels of security to the mobile world as have become commonplace in the traditional in-store fixed terminal environment.”
MagTek is a member of the Thales Alliance for Solution and Application Providers (ASAP) program. Thales partners with leading technology companies and systems integrators to meet the data security needs of security-conscious organizations around the globe. The ASAP program develops technical partnerships to ensure that Thales solutions integrate seamlessly with leading applications and hardware, making it easy to deploy best practice security solutions.
Visit Thales on stand #4M 074 and MagTek on stand #3C 023 at Cartes 2013, Paris, to see mPOS in action and take part in live demos of our mPOS solutions.
Learn more about the Thales mPOS ecosystem in our whitepaper mPOS: Secure Mobile Card Acceptance: more cards, more volume, less cash. For industry insight and views on the latest key management trends check out our blog www.thales-esecurity.com/blogs
Follow Thales e-Security on Twitter @Thalesesecurity, LinkedIn, Facebook and YouTube