Centrix Software, a leading provider of workspace computing solutions, has just completed research showing that application redundancy and incompatibility can significantly reduce the burden and cost involved in typical corporate migration projects.
The research, carried out by Centrix Software amongst Windows XP migration project managers at global organisations, has revealed the following app usage statistics:
- Between 75 to 95% of the apps that are incompatible with Windows 7 are not used, meaning that desktop migrations could be dramatically streamlined and accelerated with the right information
- Up to 90% of total apps are used less than 10% of the time
- 50% of apps are not used at all
- Unused apps cost companies an average of $500 per desktop
- Typically over 20% of install apps compatible with Windows XP are not compatible with Windows 7 and 8
Further emphasising this, eighty-one per cent (approximately eight out of 10) of European IT professionals queried in a recent survey admitted to their networks holding unused applications.
The Centrix Software survey also supports findings from Dell and Forrester, which report that 44% of IT decision makers think that they would save $1m or more annually due to a better understanding of their application libraries.
“It is critical for IT departments to be in possession of these facts, when they are already so overwhelmed by the scope and challenges of migration, that they typically put off projects as long as they can,” said Richard Pegden, Director of Product Marketing at Centrix Software. “In one customer we worked with, the organisation had 525 applications incompatible with Windows 7 based on installed apps. The analysis demonstrated that only fourteen of these apps were actually being used, just 3%, meaning the remaining 97% could be removed. This type of information dramatically reduces both the upheaval and cost of migration.”
In addition to this detailed application and device usage, Centrix Software also provides a platform for IT to deliver applications and content to users regardless of device, utilising the detailed usage information to understand user work styles to deliver the right experience that users demand.
For more details including some of the survey statistics and a history of Windows Migration, please take a look at ourinfographic.