London - March 19, 2013 – 10gen, the MongoDB company, today announced the general availability of MongoDB 2.4, the newest release of the agile and scalable document database. New capabilities include Hash-based Sharding, Capped Arrays, Text Search, Geospatial Enhancements and a number of other key features.
In addition, 10gen introduced MongoDB Enterprise as part of a new MongoDB Enterprise subscription level. MongoDB Enterprise contains new monitoring and security features including Kerberos Authentication and Role-based Privileges.
MongoDB 2.4 key features and enhancements include:
- Hash-based Sharding – MongoDB provides horizontal scaling by transparently sharding data across multiple physical servers. MongoDB 2.4 now includes Hash-based Sharding, a new option that simplifies the creation of large-scale MongoDB systems.
- Capped Arrays– Applications frequently provide real-time visibility into top ranking attributes, such as leaderboards and most viewed, emailed or purchased items. Capped Arrays simplify development by allowing developers to easily maintain a sorted array of fixed length within documents.
- Text Search (Beta) – Search is the primary interface for navigating data in many applications. MongoDB’s native, real-time Text Search simplifies development and deployment for MongoDB users with stemming and tokenisation in 15 languages.
- Geospatial Enhancements – Mobile and social applications and government programs rely on location and sophisticated geospatial analysis. MongoDB 2.4 introduces GeoJSON support, a more accurate spherical model and polygon intersections.
- Faster Counts – Count operation performance has improved, including low cardinality index-based counts that are 20x faster than prior releases of MongoDB.
- Aggregation Framework Improvements – Performance for real-time analysis of data using MongoDB’s Aggregation Framework is now 3 - 5x faster for most operations.
- Working Set Analyzer – MongoDB is used in applications where real-time, low-latency performance is critical. The Working Set Analyzer helps users maximize their performance and their capacity planning based on analysis of resource utilization.
- Improved Replication – MongoDB 2.4 intelligently determines when to initiate the election of a new primary replica during network hiccups. Replication is now significantly faster for initial synchronization, providing greater flexibility and lower risk for maintaining system availability.
MongoDB Enterprise features include:
- Monitoring – On-prem monitoring, visualisation and alerting on more than 100 operational metrics of a MongoDB system in real time, based on the same application that powers 10gen’s popular MongoDB Monitoring Service (MMS).
- Kerberos Authentication – Enterprise applications can now securely authenticate with MongoDB using this widely adopted standard.
- Role-based Privileges– Separate responsibilities for server, database and cluster administration.
MongoDB is the open-source, document database popular among developers and IT professionals due to its agile and scalable approach. MongoDB provides a JSON data model with dynamic schemas, extensive driver support, auto-sharding, built-in replication and high availability, full and flexible index support, rich queries, aggregation, in-place updates and GridFS for large file storage.
As one of the most popular new technologies, MongoDB has more than 4 million downloads, 50,000 Online Education registrations, 15,000 MongoDB User Group (MUG) members, 14,000 MongoDB Monitoring Service users and 10,000 attendees at MongoDB global events in 2012.
10gen has more than 600 commercial customers including many of the world’s leading brands, such as Cisco, Craigslist, Disney, EA, eBay, Ericsson, Forbes, Foursquare, Intuit, LexisNexis, McAfee, MTV, Salesforce.com, Shutterfly and Telefonica. Common use cases include operational and analytical big data, content management and delivery, mobile and social infrastructure, user data management and data hub.
"MongoDB 2.4 delivers a rich array of features that users have been asking for, and the number of features and pace of innovation is a testament to our increased engineering team," said Eliot Horowitz, co-founder and CTO of 10gen.
"MongoDB Enterprise is suited to the growing number of large organizations that are adopting MongoDB and responds to their needs related to monitoring and security."
“Interest in MongoDB continues to accelerate based on its ease of use and flexibility for developers,” said Matt Aslett, research director, data management and analytics, 451 Research. “The new operational capabilities delivered in MongoDB 2.4, including new sharding capabilities, simplified capacity planning and security features, will likely drive further adoption as more MongoDB-based applications are deployed into production.”
“10gen has raised the bar on what to expect for quick and easy live database monitoring,” said Harun Yardımcı, Software Architect, eBay. “On-prem monitoring allows us to actively diagnose application issues quickly and easily to improve our MongoDB-powered application’s performance and ultimately provides a superior experience for our customers, which is our top priority.”
- Download MongoDB 2.4
- Read the blog post about the new operations in MongoDB 2.4
- Visit http://www.mongodb.org more technical details
- Attend upcoming MongoDB webinars and events
10gen is the company behind MongoDB, the leading NoSQL database. MongoDB is the open-source, document database that is reshaping the market due to the popularity of its agile and scalable approach among developers and IT professionals. 10gen leads MongoDB development, supports the large and growing MongoDB community, provides commercial subscriptions including support, and offers consulting and training. Additionally, 10gen provides the free, cloud-based MongoDB Monitoring Service (MMS).
Petra Opelova and Jack Costley
LEWIS PR for 10gen
+44 (0)207 802 2626