Codicote, UK, 26 Sept., 2013 — Kronos Incorporated today announced that Mount Carmel Hospital in Dublin, Ireland has deployed Kronos SMART workforce management solutions.
- The private hospital has deployed SMART e‑Rostering to manage complex shifts and produce efficient rosters for nursing staff working across all wards, operating theatres, and the outpatients department at the four-floor facility.
- With SMART, Mount Carmel has already achieved considerable benefits. Also, it now has the ability to plan ahead and arrange cover for unplanned staffing changes, which will result in setting a consistent high standard for patient care.
- The SMART real-time hospital acuity solution provides a continual, comprehensive overview of hospital rosters, allowing managers to quickly identify periods of either over-or under- staffing, based on predetermined minimum staffing requirements. The flexibility of the SMART solution helps the hospital adapt quickly to the changing requirements of a busy hospital environment. In addition to wards becoming more efficient with staff utilisation, the real-time, accurate staffing-related information further supports the hospital’s strategic workforce planning efforts.
- The SMART solution has been configured and installed to meet Ireland’s strict Trade Union policy of consulting staff prior to changing shift patterns and rosters. Staff members are also able to access SMART themselves even from remote locations to request shift swaps, apply for extra shifts, and book annual leave.
- As a result, SMART has become an intrinsic part of Mount Carmel’s good governance framework and the successful implementation has been the catalyst for a positive cultural change, as the hospital can now focus even more on patient care delivery.
- Dr Nigel McCarley, chief operating officer, Mount Carmel Hospital: “Unlike many systems that promise and lot but don’t always deliver, the Kronos SMART solution produces impressive results. The solution applies a logical methodology to calculating staffing requirements and its tracking and identification of roster trends over any given period of time is highly effective. The beauty of SMART also lies in its total transparency as it is fair to everyone and is easily understood by nurses and non-clinicians alike. We consider it a vital part of our overall good governance framework.”
- Tristan Spencer, director, SMART, A Kronos Solution “Automating rosters brings huge advantages to healthcare environments where striking the balance between meeting financial objectives and delivering consistently high standards of patient care is critical. Using the Kronos SMART solution, Mount Carmel will achieve greater efficiencies and radically transform the culture of the hospital. The ability to plan ahead gives private healthcare companies an added competitive advantage, enabling them to tap into the best talent and deploy their resources effectively at all times.”
- Established in 1949, Mount Carmel Hospital’s central philosophy is tocreate an excellent patient experience supported by excellent facilities and a dedicated medical, nursing and multidisciplinary team. Located in Dublin, Mount Carmel offers a wide range of medical and surgical services - from maternity care and specialist clinics to surgery and a dedicated orthopaedic unit. The hospital is also proud to be registered members of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) in Ireland which is a global campaign by the World Health Organisation and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
For more information, visit: www.mountcarmelhospital.ie
- SMART is a workforce management solution widely used by the UK’s NHS across England, Scotland and Wales, and the HSC in Northern Ireland. SMART enables NHS and other health organisations to meet their patient quality care objectives, including the Quality, Innovation, Productivity, and Prevention (QIPP) agenda in England, by optimising staff and ensuring that quality patient care is delivered as efficiently as possible. To learn more about the SMART solution, visit www.smart-rostering.co.uk.
- The NHS is one of the largest employers in the world, and is the largest in Europe, with more than 1.7 million staff.
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
- Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2013 Kronos Incorporated.Kronos is a registered trademark and Workforce Innovation That Works is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SMART, A Kronos Solution
+44 (0)1438 822229
+44 (0) 1491 639500