Las Vegas, Knowledge13 – May 13, 2013 – ServiceNow® (NYSE: NOW), the enterprise IT cloud company, today announced the release of the ServiceNow App Creator enabling ‘citizen developers’ to easily create intuitive enterprise applications on the ServiceNow Service Automation Platform. With a simple “point-click-publish” approach, non-technical IT personnel through technically-savvy developers can rapidly build custom applications that use forms-based workflow to automate IT or line of business processes. App Creator ensures “best practice” development of custom applications without requiring coding or technology expertise.
Gartner defines a ‘citizen developer’ as a user who creates new business applications for consumption by others using development and runtime environments sanctioned by corporate IT. In a July 14, 2011 press release, Gartner stated that citizen developers will build at least 25 percent of new business applications by 2014.
“We constantly see our customers developing their own applications on our platform. The App Creator sets a new, low threshold for mere mortals to stand up a new application in just minutes.” said Fred Luddy, founder and chief product officer, ServiceNow. “ServiceNow is empowering IT with a powerful platform for automating services delivered across the enterprise.”
“App Creator provides a breakthrough in simplifying the process of building custom applications,” said Jim Uomini, service level manager, Information Technology Services, University of San Francisco (USF). “We have been developing two to three custom applications per year on the ServiceNow platform, and App Creator improves the speed and organization of application development which is critical when IT resources are limited.” With the power of the ServiceNow platform, USF has been able to develop applications for budget request intake, student data requests, digital signage requests, campus ID and security, online support for students – and they’re just getting started.
‘Citizen Developers’ Unleash the Power of the ServiceNow Platform
Hundreds of customers have created more than a thousand applications on the ServiceNow platform. App Creator simplifies and standardizes common tasks, opening up development to a broad spectrum of people. Some customer-built applications include:
- Employee onboarding application to provide a properly configured computer, email account, network privileges, badge and other items to new employees through a self-service, automated process
- Public events management application to schedule resources, manage incidents and perform post-event analysis
- Software bug tracking application to track reported bugs, configure the bug status, move the bug to another status or delete the bug
- Supplier self-service application to self-provision required services through a portal
- Work order management application to track employee request for equipment and other assets
- Process rebate fulfilment application to track rebates requested and fulfilled, route approvals and deliver analytics related to costs and redemption rates
- Gift card inventory management application to streamline the production and release process of gift cards across four functional groups
This week at Knowledge13Ô, the largest gathering of IT professionals using cloud services for enterprise IT service automation, there are over 20 sessions, labs and related activities dedicated to custom application development and the ServiceNow platform. Knowledge13 is being held May 12-16, 2013 in Las Vegas.
Each year, through the Innovation of the Year Award, ServiceNow honors IT organizations that have developed innovative applications on the ServiceNow Service Automation Platform and achieved positive business impact. Attendees at Knowledge13 will determine the winner onsite. Past winners of the prestigious Innovation of the Year Award include CERN, Morrison Foerster, Pacific Life and VeriSign.
ServiceNow is also hosting its first-ever CreateNow Custom App Development “hackathon” to provide a competitive, application creation-learning environment for hundreds of ServiceNow administrators and developers. CreateNow provides an opportunity for novice and experienced users to discover the power of the ServiceNow platform.