By: Jack of Hearts, Analyst, Bloor Research
Published: 22nd November 2002
Copyright Bloor Research © 2002
Despite the best efforts of the wireless operators across the globe, interest in the value add next generation data services remains worryingly low. In its latest study of the wireless market, industry experts Yankee Group has found that few people use wireless data services today and few see the value of these services in the future.
It's clear that the number of wireless data users across the world is increasing, if slowly. The Yankee Group found that approximately 18% of wireless network users have used wireless data services. But that still leaves a mammoth 82% that haven't used such services and it doesn't look like they want to either.
When the Yankee Group asked this large grouping why they don't use wireless data services they got a damning response. 42% said that they simply didn't need them. To an intelligent industry, that's a comment that will be received with the response, '..that's because we haven't told them they need them yet.' The problem this time though is that the industry has told everyone they need these services and they still aren't interested.
Even those that are interested in wireless data services aren't convinced. 16% of those polled by the Yankee Group said that wireless data services were too expensive. 6% said that they were just too complicated. It's not getting any easier is it?
To many, the idea of the wireless Internet being laughable, as it was last year, has been washed away. The wireless operators have done an excellent job of ignoring this issue, and they've stopped pretending that they can deliver such excellent services and are instead focussing on today's deliverables. For instance, the hype right now is about colour handsets, which are good and reliable, digital cameras and the transmission of these images, which again is pretty good, works well and isn't too costly.
This is good. It helps manage expectations and gives a steady, staged delivery of good services rather than having people think about the things that the wireless operators can't deliver. Next-up will be the Multimedia Messaging Services and a raft of further developments, instant messaging etc, which again should be easily and well executed. Whilst doing this of course, the operators are gradually piecing together the technologies for the future, handsets, networks etc, enabling them to, eventually, deliver on the promise of the wireless web.
It is, quite clearly, only through such a strategy of message and product delivery that the wireless operators will ever get over this gaping problem. Let's hope they stick with it because there is a lot of potential out there.
Posted: 24th November 2002 | By Young Turk :
Wireless Broadband Access is the most exciting thing to happen to the PC and Internet and networking since the invention of the PC.
For anyone to think that it is a hype or unnecessary shows total lack of imagination or understanding of wireless connections and networking.
Why aren't we connected with our STBs to Sky through cable. Six and a half million people use DTH which is basically a Point to Multipoint network.
In the future may be Sky will have VSat dishes for two way communications with its STBs. At the moment the STB communicates with Sky's SMS through a land line telephone connection.
May be the concept will be more clear to those who think hard wired networks are better. I think not. TD-SCDMA is here to rule and the true convergence of all the technologies will be possible anywhere any time. Who needs standards for 3G which is designed to make the rich richer. World standards will probably be set by the Chinese in the 3G market because of their advanced technologies and the greed of the Europeans and USA. My money is on the Chinese. 3G is dead and long live TDD.
Posted: 25th November 2002 | By Wheelz :
I can see no reason to reduce the speed of the network and pay a premium price for the privilege. Even though many are now claiming that security has been improved, the taint is still there. My $0.02
The messages above were all contributed by IT-Director.com readers. Whilst we take care to remove any posts deemed inappropriate, we can take no responsibility for these comments. If you would like a comment removed please contact our editorial team.
We automatically stop accepting comments 180 days after a post is published. If you would like to know more about this subject, please contact us and we'll try to help.
Published by: Electronicdawn Ltd.
T: +44 (0)190 888 0760 | F: +44 (0)190 888 0761