Covenco, the leading disaster recovery provider, has today announced the addition of a new Tier 3+ DR and workplace facility in Liverpool, which will provide customers with a range of additional services.
The new DR centre is a major departure for Covenco, with the provision of independent, linked buildings housing six data halls, specifically designed to Tier 3+ standard. The centre can house over 2,000 racks offering densities from 2kW to 20kW per rack.
Each building has dedicated infrastructure, including fully redundant and diverse power, cooling, and extensive security along with multiple workplace office facilities and meeting rooms. National Ethernet will enables users to securely extend the functionality of their LAN into the centre and throughout the UK, using point-to-point or point-to-multipoint connectivity at speeds ranging from 2 Mbps up to 10 Gbps, meaning there is no longer a concern as to the geographic location of a DR centre as the speed of communications ensures the highest performance levels.
Each data hall is also protected using advanced VESDA based fire monitoring and smoke detection systems to floor, room and in ceiling voids and Argonite based fire suppression. The facility is secured behind perimeter fencing and manned 24/7 by on-site security personnel and backed by a team of dedicated on-site engineers offering 24/7 support services. The Covenco DR centre operates in accordance with the highest levels and standards.
As a premier data centre, the DR centre also offers many benefits not normally available elsewhere including market leading colocation services, carrier class multiple tier 1 carrier network connectivity - both nationally and globally, all essential services generator backed and together with secured equipment and document storage.
Gurdip Sohal, Sales Director at Covenco Recovery Services said, “If a ‘catastrophic’ event should occur, you would want your data to be secure and your business to continue as near normal and as quickly as possible. We wanted the new DR centre to be able to make it as quick and easy as possible for a company to be up and running again. Whether you require a single rack or a complete dedicated suite, our new centre in Liverpool can offer flexible solutions to meet your DR or colocation needs. The comprehensive, flexible infrastructure allows us to offer tailored solutions to meet your exact requirements to ensure business operations can continue with minimum disruption”.
The Covenco DR centre operates in accordance with the highest levels and standards within the industry, being compliant to the following standards:
- ISO 27001:2005, - for information security management
- ISO 9001:2008 - for quality management systems
- ISO 14001 – for environmental management
- ISO 18001 – for health and safety management
- PCI-DSS - for payment card data security
The Covenco DR centre is a carrier neutral facility acting as a gateway for customers to purchase the best of breed IP transit from a number of Tier 1 Carriers, Telcos and IPS's who deliver high capacity services from their core networks directly to the Covenco site.
- Level 3
- Cable & Wireless World-wide
- British Telecom
- Virgin Media
- Hibernia Atlantic
- EMNET Solutions
Infrastructure - Power
Power availability to the site is delivered into two internal 11kV ring circuits fed from an onsite 33kV primary substation. The buildings are connected to the ring circuits, each with its own dual power transformers and backed up with their own dedicated generators delivering independent resilient power to each building that is concurrently maintainable.
All critical power systems are connected to Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) systems in an N+1, N+2 or 2N configuration to ensure that critical power is available at all times backed up via 13 dedicated diesel generators which can support the total site for over 7 days of continual operation at full capacity without fuel delivery.
The centre can also offer its customers custom power configurations to suit, from dual 11kV power feeds to 600A dual UPS supplies.
- Diverse incoming power feeds
- Incoming 10MW supply
- AC power voltage 240v single phase or 415v 3 phase
- Dual path power distribution throughout to customer racks
- Dual PDU's 32A or 64A to each rack
- DC supply available on request
- N+N UPS configurations shared or dedicated
- Optional high power dual UPS supplies available on request
- Real time monitoring of power usage
- 13 onsite diesel generators delivering 17MVA
- Over 750,000 litres of onsite fuel storage
- Onsite fuel storage for over 7 days at full site load
- 24x7x365 fuel contracts in place
The Covenco DR centre is committed to ensuring the use of the latest cooling solutions to reduce energy consumption and associated costs.
At the Covenco DR centre we utilize Hot Aisle Containment and Cold Aisle Containment solutions. This ensures that we not only provide our clients with the cooling densities they require for their demanding IT equipment, we can also scale-up in a modular way to provide enhanced densities, whilst ensuring we control and deliver an efficient solution.
The cooling systems throughout the site may use the following :
- Redundant cooling ACU (N+1)
- Variable frequency drives
- Chilled water pumps
- Centrifugal chillers
- Condenser pumps
- External cooling towers
- Perimeter CRAC air-handling and in-row cooling units to shared and dedicated colocation areas
- Cold and hot air separated (hot & cold aisle containment)
- High-density cooling solutions
- Standard 4kW to 15kW high density (15+ kW available on request)
- Temperature 24 °C (± 5 °C)
- Relative humidity 50% (± 25%)
The Covenco DR centre has deployed comprehensive fire early detection and suppression systems to ensure that we are proactive in any event that may occur.
- Very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus installed (VESDA / HSSD)
- Comprehensive smoke detection system
- Argonite fire suppression systems in all data halls and critical locations
- Detection to site, buildings, data halls, under floor and in containment
Coupled with the fact we have 24/7 real-time monitoring down to rack level, our systems are designed to ensure you get maximum protection and the assurance that your critical equipment and data is safe with us.
The ongoing evolution of the Information Age means that a company’s information is its greatest asset. Its protection is increasingly more imperative and more difficult.
The Covenco DR centre was purpose built to house highly sensitive data and as such, it enjoys an extensive state-of-the-art security installation supplemented with 24/7 on-site guards operating out of dedicated security lodges.
There are seven levels of security:
- Perimeter fence with external moat and anti-ram bollards
- External security gates with turnstile entrance
- Bomb proofed Security Lodge with bullet proof glazing
- Internal controlled mantraps into all serviced areas and colocation halls
- Proximity card with pin based access systems
- Locked racks
- Full site surveillance and continual logging of CCTV and access
The Covenco DR centre is committed to ensuring that infrastructure deployed not only provides environmental benefits, but will also guarantee operational efficiency and maintainability.
We have implemented a design strategy that will allow modular infrastructure deployment and with the use of the latest available technology ensures the lowest PuE with overall operational efficiency based upon the best practices in the industry. The use of free cooling coupled with containment systems ensures every part of our facility is looking to meet our commitment to environmental sustainability.
We will always strive to ensure a significant reduction in CO2 emissions and our continual involvement in sustainable energy within the Group reflects that commitment.
- Low PuE commitment
- Latest use of technology saving energy usage
- Containment to all Colocation
- Low energy lighting connected with movement sensors
- Minimizing all hot spots
- BMS (Building Management System)
- Customer Portal for PuE measurement & infrastructure management