London, 8th August, 2013 – The eCommerce division of WorldPay, a global leader in payment processing, risk and alternative payments, has today announced significant growth across all product groups with transaction volumes up 45% compared to the first half of 2012. In the first half of 2013, over 257 million gateway transactions were processed.
Online transactions reached a record rate of 320 transactions per second.
Alternative payment transactions were a strong driver of growth, with the value of payments processed increasing by 46% in the first half of 2013 compared to the same period in 2012. The business is confident that it can deliver 20% growth in 2013, with Alternative Payments growing the fastest.
Testament to the success in new product development and innovation, WorldPay have been recognised with a number of industry awards in 2013 including Smart Card Asia Awards, Merchant Payment Ecosystem Awards, Card Not Present Awards and Card and Payment Awards.
Product development and innovation have been a key theme to success over the last 6 months with many enhancements and updates benefitting merchants, including;
- Maestro International – WorldPay announced Multi-Currency Maestro Acceptance, allowing WorldPay merchants to accept multi-currency transactions on Maestro cards, providing merchants with access to over 400 million Maestro cards across Europe and India
- Optimisation of Alternative Payment methods – Further enhancements of the core Alternative Payment types, allowing more merchants access to more payment types around the world
- Bankout – Bankout was launched to give merchants the ability to make cost-effective, low-value cross-border payments with guaranteed amounts delivered to recipients without incurring additional bank charges.
WorldPay has seen significant growth across a number of sectors including digital content, video games, airlines, travel, retail and gambling. In 2013, WorldPay has signed a number of significant customer deals including:
- JustGiving, the UK’s most popular online giving platform to provide global payment processing support.
- Playtox, a provider of mobile browser games in Russia, to provide gateway and acquiring services, with a specific focus on alternative payment acceptance.
- Secret Escapes, the UK’s top luxury travel deals experts, to provide global payment processing services and alternative payment acceptance.
- Skype, the communications software division of Microsoft further expanded its relationship with WorldPay to enable Skype to accept QIWI Wallet Payments to improve local payment offerings in Russia.
- MetroPlay, the newly launched ultimate urban mobile gaming destination, to provide payment processing, depositing and risk capabilities services.
- Infernum Productions, international publisher and operator of online games, to handle online payments on a global scale for Infernum’s new game, Dragon’s Prophet
- Kobo, a global leader in eReading, implemented RiskGuardian, to protect against fraudulent transactions and resulting chargebacks as the company continues to expand into the US market.
The world of online payments is complex with businesses across multiple industries requiring different services and support. WorldPay has signed a number of significant partnerships to integrate with platforms and solutions that can further strengthen its own services and broaden the delivery of WorldPay end-to-end services to global merchants. These partnerships include: MoneyGram, Vindicia and Intershop.
Floris de Kort, CEO, eCommerce division WorldPay comments: “The growth that we have seen in the first half of 2013 is testament to the business commitment to product development and sector-specific relationship management. We have signed significant partnerships which further strengthen our end-to-end services, and the new customer wins in 2013 demonstrate the recognition and demand among global merchants for our international reach through over 200 alternative payment types, industry expertise and data insights. The second half of 2013 looks set to be even more successful.”
Service Delivery Executive
Tel: +44 (0)1522 883640